The Yonge Street Mission (YSM) is the vibrant, local Christian development agency that is leading an infectious movement -- going beyond meeting immediate needs, by offering holistic programs and a pathway that can transform the lives of people living with poverty in Toronto, from merely surviving to thriving. Our goal is to end chronic poverty in Toronto in one generation. Reporting to the Director of Program Service, YSM is seeking a full time, Double Take Store Manager.
The Double Take Thrift Store is YSM’s employment/training initiative where gently used, high-quality clothing, furniture and housewares can be purchased at very affordable prices. The ideal candidate must be a highly motivated, process-oriented Store Manager to take on the complex store operations, leading to the effective training and empowerment of those we serve. We are seeking a leader who is able to adapt to the changing workforce development needs of our community members, within a dynamic and evolving retail sector.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Program Services, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Effective leadership and management of the Double Take team members, empowering their continuous growth and development, increased productivity and skills attainment, leading toward career advancement opportunities consistent with YSM’s mission
- Effective and efficient day-to-day operations of the Store ensuring adherence to standard operating procedures, safety protocols, excellent customer service and results
- Strategic and annual planning, budgeting, monitoring and accountability in accordance with policies
- Implementation of health and safety programs, and employment standards in accordance with applicable policies and laws
- Support the recruitment, selection, onboarding and training of team members
- Develop a culture of inclusivity, compassion and learning
- Donor relations, communications and stewardship
- Monitoring and maintaining knowledge of industry trends, products and brands, competition, pricing and other dynamics in the thrift industry
- Effective handling of customer issues and problem resolution
- Support YSM’s relief and mission programs
- Plan and execute marketing campaigns, special events and celebrations, donation promotions and drives, on-line, social media, etc.; most notably YSM’s Annual (January) PATH Clothing Drive
The successful candidate will have the following skills and training:
- Demonstrated commitment to YSM’s mission, values and guiding principles, and a passion to support the three population groups we serve - Adults Experiencing Chronic Poverty, Street Youth and Families in Need
- A minimum of five (5) years of leadership experience in a supervisory/management capacity in the retail sector
- Customer service experience essential
- Strong technical abilities including budgeting, technical writing, scheduling and understanding of profit and loss statements
- Process-driven: able to formulate and implement policies, procedures, work manuals, etc.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple responsibilities at the same time
- Flexible and dynamic team player, with an ability to work with a high degree of independence
- Understanding, experience and comfort working with people from diverse backgrounds, and who may face social or health barriers. Understanding of the dynamics poverty and marginalization in Toronto/GTA
- Strong communication and networking skills
- CPI or UMAB, First Aid & CPR Training is an asset
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent is an asset
- Marketing, Financial, Human Resources experience an asset
Must have the ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends; a police check will be required
Deadline for Application: March 6, 2020 Starting Date: March 2020
While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Learn more about The Yonge Street Mission by visiting our website: www.ysm.ca